- This event has passed.
CFP- Second Research Symposium on Asian Art and Performance at the Uniarts Helsinki
October 17, 2013 - 00:00-October 19, 2013 - 00:00
Call for Papers and Presentations: International Symposium “Shifting Dialogues II: Objects of Desire: Sexual Artifice in Asian Art and Performance”
University of the Arts Helsinki
Last year we focused on “The Politics of Site, Locality & Context in Asian Performance and Visual Arts”. This year we are focusing on sexual practices and gender roles in Asian art, film, video art, installation, live art, and dialogical work. We are looking for new framings of sexuality and gender, beyond orientalism, the tattered dualisms of “East vs West”, and are looking into the specificity of the fetish object and its social context. How are various social practices, from religion to bureaucracy to economics to politics and terror sexualised and fetishised. While the focus of this seminar is the fetish and art object, we are interested in fleshing out the body in its material, sexualised and all genres of gendered performances.
Our symposia are small, intimate and dialog-based, rather than formalized panel presentations. Presentations can be in the form of papers or well-researched interventions and provocations. There are no parallel sessions, so the number of presentations will be small. In 2014/15 we will be publishing a peer-reviewed volume of selected papers from three annual symposia.
We are looking for research in the following areas but are interested in other initiatives in line with the symposium theme as well.
- Sexploitation, sexwork, refugees and art
* AIDS, STDs, Art and Performance in Asia
* Mapping bodies: the erotics of colonial and post-colonial biometrics
* Trans-sexing histories and traditions in visual arts and performance
* Feminist challenges and interventions in Asia
* Gender and violence
* The gendered barricades: Elections, riots, demonstrations
* Terror -Weaponry – Fetish
* Taking hostages- Performance art and the ‘Stockholm Syndrome’
* Sleeping with the Other: Colonial and Post-colonial sex, war and tourism
* Love Pray : Sexual typing, gender roles and religion
* Challenging global queer culture: queering practice, activism and theory in Asia
* Trans-orientalisms & occidentalisms: Muscular Asia & the Feminine West
* Strategic self-orientalism
* Who subalterns the subaltern now?
DEADLINE for proposals is 17 May 2013. Decisions will be confirmed by 20 June, 2013.
Presentations reflecting practice-based artistic research relevant to the symposium topic are strongly encouraged.
Further questions: Anna Thuring ([email protected])
TO SUBMIT proposals please provide the following by email only:
– abstract of 250 words with low resolution images or directions to on-line video as needed
– short bio and description of research in 150 words
– current cv
– indication of special technical or space requirements
Send proposals by the deadline to: [email protected]