- This event has passed.
Tang Summer School in Budapest
July 1, 2013 - 00:00-July 7, 2013 - 00:00
The Tang Summer School at the Department of Chinese Studies, ELTE University (Budapest), offers an overview of the main facets of the Tang era by focusing on its relationship with the world outside China in five specific areas: history, literature, religion, science, and art. The entire summer school is sponsored by the Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange. The Budapest Summer School will last one week, with six days of lectures and a daylong guided trip to the Danube Bend.
Each day four main lectures will be given, and in the evening of every second day there will be time for discussion. Lecturers include the following scholars:
1. HISTORY: Prof. CHEN Jo-shui (National Taiwan University): “Understanding the Multifaceted Tang and Its Metamorphosis.”
2. LITERATURE: Prof. Victor H. MAIR (University of Pennsylvania): “Popular and Classical Literature during the Tang Period.”
3. RELIGION: Prof. Robert M. GIMELLO (University of Notre Dame): “Buddhism in Tang China: The Esoteric and the Exoteric Dimensions.”
4. SCIENCE: Prof. Donald HARPER (University of Chicago): “Four Lectures on Tang Science.”
5. ART HISTORY: Prof. Roderick WHITFIELD (SOAS University of London): “Arts of the Tang dynasty.”
The following items will be covered by the Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange for participating students:
1. Transportation fees (air ticket, airport transfer, local transportation);
2. Full board (accommodation and food [lunch, dinner, coffee]);
*25 graduate students who presently study at European universities will be selected. The applicants must send a detailed CV and a letter of reference to [email protected]. Deadline for application is January 15, 2013.*