POSTPONED Asia and Africa in Transition
June 28, 2021-June 30, 2021
In light of the current situation and global conoravirus concern, the conference has been postponed from October 2020 to 28-30 June 2021.
In 2021, the annual ADI conference and the annual NNC conference will join forces with a number of globally oriented networks and centres at the University of Copenhagen.
The organisers are:
- Asian Dynamics Initiative
- NIAS – Nordic Institute of Asian Studies
- School of Global Health
- Sustainability Science Centre
- UCPH Global Development
About the conference
Asia and Africa, with a population of 4.6 billion and 1.3 billion respectively, represent about 80 percent of the world’s population. Major changes have taken place both within and between the two continents in areas ranging from economic development, trade, health care, demography and climate to politics and entertainment, with impacts that reach out in many cases across the globe.
Placing Asia-Africa engagement and dynamics as focal points, this conference will feature keynote speeches and a range of panels and roundtables across disciplines, temporalities and themes.
- Ching Kwan Lee, Professor of Sociology at the University of California, Los Angeles
- Jonathan Rigg, Professor and Chair in Human Geography at the University of Bristol
- Reiner Klingholz, Former Director of Berlin Institute for Population and Development
In connection with the Asia and Africa in Transition conference from 21-23 October, we will hold an intensive workshop for a limited number of PhD students on Monday and Tuesday, 19 and 20 October 2020.
The aim of this PhD workshop is to bring together promising doctoral students from a broad range of disciplines focusing on a diverse range of Asia related topics, including but not limited to the themes of the conference itself. We especially encourage PhD students from the Nordic region to apply.
The students present their research proposal or a key chapter from their thesis to all other participants. A panel of senior scholars will provide constructive feedback on the submissions.
For more information, please go to the conference website.
- Duncan McCargo, Director, NIAS – Nordic Institute of Asian Studies, Professor of Political Science, University of Copenhagen
- May Tan-Mullins, Professor, The University of Nottingham Ningbo, China
- More TBA
- 31 July: Deadline for submitting application
- 15 August: Notification of acceptance by organising committee
- 1 October: Deadline for submitting paper
Please click here to read the full call.