- This event has passed.
Call for papers: Asia and Africa in Transition
April 15, 2020
The organisers are:
- Asian Dynamics Initiative
- NIAS – Nordic Institute of Asian Studies
- School of Global Health
- Sustainability Science Centre
- UCPH Global Development
About the conference
Asia and Africa, with a population of 4.6 billion and 1.3 billion respectively, represent about 80 percent of the world’s population. Major changes have taken place both within and between the two continents in areas ranging from economic development, trade, health care, demography and climate to politics and entertainment, with impacts that reach out in many cases across the globe.
Placing Asia-Africa engagement and dynamics as focal points, this conference will feature keynote speeches and a range of panels and roundtables across disciplines, temporalities and themes.
Call for papers
We invite abstracts for paper presentations addressing one of the panels listed below:
• Asian partners in the transition of ports in Africa
• Banal democracies: Beyond electoral temporality
• China going global: Historical trajectories, current debates, and future prospects
• Constructing historical and identity narratives in Central Eurasia
• Engendering humanity in Africa and Asia
• Foreign agricultural investments as driver of rural transformation?
• From recipients to donors: New engagement of Asian countries in humanitarian aid in Africa
• Health systems in transition: Human health resources as agents of change
• Local expressions of global ideas: Negotiating modernity, aesthetics and cultural heritage in African and Asian museums
• Situated natalisms – familial and filial forms in Africa and Asia
• Sustainability strategy and Asian investments in energy in Africa: Regulation, governance and investment
• The geopolitics of China’s rise in Africa: Implications and challenges for democratisation and human rights
• The geopolitics of the Indo-Pacific
• The making of Belt and Road Initiative projects in African states: Local actors, interests and policy link-ups
• Urbanization in rural regions of Africa and Asia
Your submission should include:
- Name, affiliation, short bio
- Abstract including title (up to 250 words)
- Intended panel
We also invite full panel proposals on Asia – Africa related themes. Your submission should include:
- Name, affiliation and contact details of convener/contact person
- Title and description of panel (up to 250 words)
- Name and affiliation of 3-4 presenters in the panel, title of their presentations and abstracts (each up to 250 words)
Deadline for submitting abstracts or full panel proposals: 15 April 2020
Proposals should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
In the event that we receive more proposals than we can accommodate, the organisers and conveners will decide among the submitted proposals.
Notification of acceptance: mid-May 2020