- This event has passed.
Call for papers: Symposium on Chinese Language Teachers and Teaching in Aarhus
September 15, 2014 - 00:00
Symposium: 4th to 5th December, 2014.
We invite the submission of papers for an international symposium on acquisition of Chinese as a Foreign Language (CFL), to be held at Aarhus University, Denmark from December 4th to 5th, 2014. We invite researchers and teachers to show and share their knowledge and experience in the field of teaching and learning Chinese as a foreign language. This will be the second symposium in a series, and follows the success of the 1st symposium held in 2013 at Aarhus University, Denmark. Papers presented in the 1st symposium focused mainly on the CFL teachers and CFL teaching: curriculum design, course provision and teacher perception. These areas will continue to be covered in the 2nd symposium, but we are also keen to get more papers on the theories of teaching CFL, the direction of classroom-relevant research, and the rationale behind of CFL teacher perception and CFL production.
The working language of the symposium will be English and Chinese.
Abstracts are invited for oral presentations (20 minutes, plus 10 minutes for discussion). Topics may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Critical appraisal of the current field of Chinese linguistics and the practice of teaching Chinese as a foreign language (CFL)
- Critical evaluation of the applied value of current Chinese linguistics for CFL
- Design and development of classroom-relevant research in teaching CFL
- The rationale behind, and principles and practices of effective CFL teaching
- Case studies on e.g. individual teacher experience and lessons in teaching CFL
- The relationship between general linguistics and Chinese linguistics, with a focus on application to classroom teaching
- Theoretical and practical study of teaching basic CFL courses, with directions for future research on CFL linguistics
- Empirical studies on specific issues of Chinese language and CFL teaching, and how these should inform classroom-based CFL research
- Comparative studies of 1st and 2nd language to get more insight into the impact of the learners’ native language on Chinese acquisition
- Suggestions for CFL teacher preparation program to offer courses relevant to enable them to assess learners linguistic problem
- Suggestions for CFL teacher preparation /continuous program to be able to critically evaluate research findings, materials and methods to determine their applicability for the teaching
An abstract of no more than 500 but no fewer than 300 words in English should be submitted to: Ms. Sahra Normann, firstname.lastname@example.org; and Ms. Song Xueying, email@example.com; Please also include (1) author(s)’ name(s); (2) affiliation; and (3) email address.
Deadline for submission of abstracts: 15th September, 2014
Notification of acceptance: 15th October, 2014
Date of full Paper submission: 15th November, 2014
(The organizers plan to publish selected papers as an edited book or a special issue of a journal)
The symposium is supported by Aarhus University – Initiative with Chinese Universities, 2014. The registration fee to cover lunches, tea/coffee, one dinner and the delegate’s pack is EURO 100 for those who have papers accepted. The deadline for registration fee is 15th November, 2014.
Wu Zhongwei (Fudan University, Shanghai)
Zhao Yang (Peking University, Beijing)
There will be a Round Table on CFL teachers and CFL teaching will be on Friday 5th December, 2014.
Invited Speakers for Round Table:
Anders Pedersen (Aarhus University)
Hu Wenhua (Fudan University, Shanghai)
Xu Shuan (European Chinese Language and Culture Programme, Peking University)
Wang Danping (Technological & Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong)
Zhang Chun (convener, Aarhus University)
Further inquiry can be sent to Associate Professor Zhang Chun, firstname.lastname@example.org