- This event has passed.
CfP: COVID-19 in Asia: Communication, Nationalism and Technology
August 30, 2021
6th International Conference – Asia Centre
As of 4 October, the numbers arising from the COVID-19 pandemic stood at 35,156,100 infections and 1,038,254 deaths. The economic and public health catastrophe notwithstanding, COVID-19 has created a communications challenge for countries trying to tackle issues of disinformation and misinformation. The race to find a cure for the coronavirus has resulted in vaccine nationalism. Meanwhile, technology companies are increasingly called upon to address the virality of fake news on their platforms but their efforts are seen as too little too late.
The impact of the pandemic on the following areas will be examined:
- Online disinformation, fake news and hate speech during the pandemic;
- Contract tracing, digital identity recognition, surveillance and privacy;
- Digital, health and media literacy;
- Nationalism, multilateral collaboration and geopolitical shifts;
- Impact on democracy and rights;
- Digital platforms, remote communications, online services;
- AI, data analytics, machine learning;
- Any other relevant themes
Read more here.
- Accepting abstracts on a rolling basis until 30 August 2021
- Full papers (deadline 30 September 2021)
- Conference dates: 6-8 Okt 2021