The International Journal of Taiwan Studies is pleased to announce the 2021 IJTS Research Article Competition. Since its launch in 2018, IJTS has established itself as a principal outlet for the dissemination of cutting-edge research on Taiwan. IJTS is the first internationally collaborative, multidisciplinary, and peer-reviewed academic research journal in English dedicated to all aspects of Taiwan studies, including social sciences, arts and humanities, and topics which are interdisciplinary in nature. To continue the development of Taiwan studies and with the financial support of the European Association of Taiwan Studies (EATS), we announce a call for papers for the 2021 IJTS Research Article Competition. There are three categories of articles for entry:
- Arts and Humanities
- Social Sciences
- Indigenous Studies
Each research article can only be entered in one category. IJTS Executive Editorial Board members and IJTS Advisory Board members are not eligible to enter the Competition.
- If and when shortlisted, authors should provide a proof of valid current membership for either EATS, North American Taiwan Studies Association (NATSA) or Japan Association for Taiwan Studies (JATS). For co-authored papers, at least one of the authors must be a current member of one of the three associations.
- Research articles should be written in English.
- Eligible articles should not have previously been published, nor be under consideration by other publications, nor be submitted to another essay/article competition simultaneously.
- Each applicant may submit only one paper of 6000–8000 words(excluding references).
- The deadline for submission of full papers is 15 July 2021.
- Please follow the IJTS Instructions for Authors for style guides and online submission procedures. Please indicate in a separate title page as specified in the IFA and where appropriate in the journal’s online portal “Submission for the 2021 IJTS Research Article Competition” and your intended category.
A panel of judges will be organised for each of the three categories of the Competition. Each judging panel will conduct blind reviews of the submitted articles in their respective category according to the paper’s relevance to the field, originality, clarity of methodology, quality of the writing and argument, and respect for the rules of quotation and the journal’s IFA. After the evaluation process, the IJTS Editorial Office will announce the winning papers for each category based on the judging panels’ recommendations.
- Each category will select up to two winning articles.
- Each winner will be awarded a certificate and US$50 per 1000 words (excluding references).
- The announcement will be made and winners be individually notified by email by 30 November 2021.
- Winning articles will be published in the International Journal of Taiwan Studies (a degree of revision may be required).
- Articles that enter the Competition but are not awarded may also be published in the International Journal of Taiwan Studies depending on the reviewers’ comments.
- Any queries about the Competition, please contact the IJTS Editorial Office at [email protected]
- For EATS membership, please consult https://www.eats-taiwan.eu or email [email protected]
- For NATSA membership, please consult https://www.na-tsa.org
- For JATS membership, please consult http://www.jats.gr.jp