International Travels of Chinese Text:
Global Perspectives and New Approaches to Chinese Textual Culture
10-11 November 2023
Venue: AsiaRes reading room (M04), National Library of Latvia (Mūkusalas iela 3, Riga)
Friday 10 November 十一月十日星期五
10:30-11:15 Registration 發表者註冊
11:15-11:45 Opening ceremony 開幕式
National Library of Latvia representative
Tseng Shu-hsien 曾淑賢, Director General, National Central Library (Taiwan)
Andrew H.C. Lee, Representative, Taipei Mission in the Republic of Latvia
Followed by book donation ceremony and group photo.
11:45-13:15 Keynote lecture 專題演講 (simultaneously broadcast on Zoom)
Hilde De Weerdt (KU Leuven): The Global Travels of Sinitic Political Advice Literature
13:15-14:30 Lunch 午餐
14:30-16:00 Session 1 發表小組一: Chinese Collections Throughout History
Chair: Chu Ping-tzu
Shu Wei-ping 許維萍 (Tamkang University): TBA
Georgijs Dunajevs (Julius Maximilian University of Würzburg and National Library of Latvia): International Returns of Chinese Text: Yang Shoujing’s Quest for Chinese Books in Japan
Philip Clart (University of Leipzig): The Chinese Library Collections at Leipzig University, 19th to 21st Centuries
16:00-16:30 Coffee break 咖啡休息間
16:30-18:30 Session 2 發表小組二: Transmission, Translation, and Audiences
Chair: Philip Clart
Agita Baltgalve (University of Latvia): Interpretations of the Book of Changes by Western Sinologists: Translations and Commentaries of the Hexagram 36 (Ming Yi 明夷)
Laurent van Cutsem (Ghent University): Chan/Zen and the Art of Quoting (Part II): An Analysis of the Keitoku dentō shōroku’s 景德傳燈鈔錄 Quotations of the Baolin zhuan 寶林傳 against the Jinzang 金藏 Edition
Elizabeth Smithrosser (Leiden University): Landing the Joke Plane: A Century of Premodern Chinese Humour in English Translation
Frank Kraushaar (Leopold Franzens University of Innsbruck): Meeting Odysseus? Contemporary Chinese Poetry Off Shore
Saturday 11 November 十一月十一日星期六
10:15-12:15 Session 3 發表小組三: Of Texts and Identity
Chair: Mark Gamsa
• Mark Gamsa (Tel Aviv University): What Was the Russian Avant-Garde Looking for in China?
• Martin Blahota (Oriental Institute, Czech Academy of Sciences): Mu Rugai’s Manchu Voice in Northeast China of the 1920s
• Aleksandrs Simons (Friedrich Alexander University of Erlangen-Nuremberg): 1924-1929, the Formative Years of Lao She’s Creative Work: Uncovering of Mr Ma and Son from a Post-colonialist Perspective, Translation and Dissemination of Lao She’s Works
• Julius Kochan (University of Oxford): Displaced Memories: Mnesic Modes in Taibeiren and The Emigrants
12:15-13:30 Lunch 午餐
13:30-14:00 Poster session for students 學生海報介紹
14:00-15:30 Session 4 發表小組四: Chinese Text between Physical and Digital Forms
Chair: Hilde De Weerdt
• Chu Ping-tzu 祝平次 (National Tsing Hua University): A Field Work on Chinese Full-Text Databases: Usage Issues and Possible Solutions
• Mariana Zorkina (University of Zurich): Researching Connections between Poetic Texts in Early and Medieval China with the CHI-KNOW-PO Tool
• Alevtina Solovyeva (Tartu University): E-database of Mytho-ritual Characters in Chinese Written and Oral Traditions
15:30-16:15 Closing remarks and coffee break 散場詞與咖啡休息間
To register, please send an e-mail to [email protected] specifying whether you would like to attend the symposium in person or watch the keynote lecture on Zoom.
The Zoom link to the keynote lecture will be made available one day prior to the event.
For additional inquiries, please contact [email protected].
co-organised by the National Library of Latvia and the National Central Library of Taiwan.